Basic Kombucha Recipe
Write a review
- 1 Gallon of Water (distilled or purified, not from faucet)
- 1 SCOBY
- 6-8 Tea bags (organic, black, green, or white tea)
- 1 c. Organic cane sugar
- 1 c. Starter kombucha (store bought will do for your first time)
You'll also need
- 1 Pot for making tea, preferably stainless steel
- 1- 1 Gallon glass jug (large pickle jar works great; clean well)
- 1 Cloth
- 1 Rubber band or string
- Sanitizer (I prefer Star San; vinegar works too)
- Fill pot with 1/2 gal of water; bring to a boil and turn off.
- Add tea bags and allow to steep (5 min).
- Remove tea bags and stir in 1 c. organic cane sugar; stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour sweet tea mixture into jug along with the remaining water. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once tea has cooled, clean your hands (Star San or white vinegar) and gently add SCOBY.
- Pour 1 c. of starter Kombucha into the jar.
- Cover with cloth and secure cloth with rubber band.
- Put your tea mixture in a warm spot (70-80 degrees) and away from direct sunlight. Leave untouched for 7-10 days. When ready to consumer, the tea will have a tart, vinegary taste.
- Make sure SCOBY never comes in contact with metal; metal will damage the SCOBY.
What is Kombucha http://whatiskombucha.org/